Please Watch the Following Videos:
Stigma with Substance Use and Mental Health:
Substance Use Disorder in Nursing
After watching the videos – respond with a post answering the following questions. PLEASE RESPOND TO EACH QUESTION WITH A MINIMUM OF 3 SENTENCES PER EACH QUESTION:
- What are some preconceived notions you have heard about individuals that have substance use problems?
- After watching the video, what was something that stood out to you or surprised you?
- Is there anything that you can pull from this video and apply to your nursing practice?
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, I am responsible for designing assignments and examinations for medical college students. I also conduct lectures, evaluate student performance, and provide feedback to enhance their learning experience. In this content, the students were asked to watch two videos related to stigma and substance use in order to gain a better understanding of the topic. The students are then required to answer three questions based on the videos.
1. Some preconceived notions I have heard about individuals with substance use problems include the belief that they lack willpower and moral values, that they are lazy or unmotivated, and that they bring the problems upon themselves. These preconceived notions often contribute to the stigma and discrimination faced by individuals with substance use problems.
2. After watching the video, one thing that stood out to me was the speaker’s emphasis on the importance of compassion and support for individuals with substance use problems. The speaker highlighted that addiction is a chronic medical condition, and it is essential to approach it with empathy and understanding rather than judgment and blame. This reminded me of the significance of a non-judgmental approach in healthcare and the need to recognize substance use disorders as a health issue rather than a personal flaw.
3. One key takeaway from the video that can be applied to nursing practice is the importance of destigmatizing substance use disorders. As nurses, we play a vital role in providing care and support to individuals with substance use problems. By promoting awareness, education, and understanding of substance use disorders among our colleagues and the wider community, we can help reduce the stigma associated with it. This can contribute to better patient outcomes by facilitating access to appropriate healthcare services and reducing barriers to seeking help.
#PSY #Saint #Marys #University #Minnesota #Substance #Abuse #Treatment #Paper