Before embarking on any professional or academic activity, it is important to understand the background, knowledge, and experience you bring to it. You might ask yourself, “What do I already know? What do I need to know? And what do I want to know?” This critical self-reflection is especially important for developing clinical skills, such as those for advanced practice nursing.
The PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills List and PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form, provided in the Learning Resources, can be used to celebrate your progress throughout your practicum and identify skills gaps. The list covers all necessary skills you should demonstrate during your practicum experience.
For this Assignment, you assess where you are now in your clinical skill development and make plans for this practicum. Specifically, you will identify strengths and opportunities for improvement regarding the required practicum skills. In this practicum experience, when developing your goals and objectives, be sure to keep assessment and diagnostic reasoning in mind.
- Review the clinical skills in the PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills List document. It is recommended that you print out this document to serve as a guide throughout your practicum.
- Review the “Developing SMART Goals” resource on how to develop goals and objectives that follow the SMART framework.
- Download the?PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form?to complete this Assignment.??
Use the PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form to complete the following:
- Rate yourself?according to?your confidence level?performing the procedures identified on the Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form.?
- Based on your ratings, summarize?your strengths and opportunities for improvement.??
- Based on your self-assessment and theory of nursing practice, develop?three to four (3–4)?measurable goals and objectives for this?practicum?experience.?Include them on the designated area of the form.??
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor responsible for designing assignments and evaluating student performance, it is important to encourage critical self-reflection and skill development. This assignment focuses on the self-assessment of clinical skills and the development of measurable goals and objectives for a practicum experience.
After reviewing the PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills List and completing the Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form, I have identified several strengths and areas for improvement in my clinical skill development. My strengths include my comfort level with assessment and diagnostic reasoning, as well as my proficiency in patient communication and education. However, I recognize opportunities for improvement in certain technical skills, such as wound care and sterile technique.
Based on my self-assessment and theory of nursing practice, I have developed the following measurable goals and objectives for this practicum experience:
1. Goal: To enhance proficiency in wound care techniques
Objective: By the end of the practicum, demonstrate correct wound cleaning and dressing techniques on five patients under the supervision of a preceptor.
2. Goal: To improve knowledge and application of sterile technique
Objective: Complete a self-directed learning activity on sterile technique and successfully perform a sterile procedure with the guidance of a preceptor.
3. Goal: To improve patient education skills
Objective: Develop and deliver educational materials on a specific topic (e.g. medication management) to at least two patients and receive positive feedback from them and the preceptor.
4. Goal: To improve confidence in assessing and managing patients with complex needs
Objective: Participate in at least three multidisciplinary patient rounds and actively contribute to the patient care plan in collaboration with the healthcare team.
Overall, these goals and objectives are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound, following the SMART framework. With a focus on skill development and clinical reasoning, I am confident that this practicum experience will enrich my learning and further prepare me for advanced practice nursing.