- Identify a specific Law/Regulation/Standard that each healthcare facility needs to be aware of and comply with during regular business in the USA.
- Determine who (which job title) at the Livewell facility should monitor for that particular Law/Regulation/Standard.
- This determination is made by identifying who, by virtue of their normal role at Livewell, is the most likely person that would identify risk for breaking this law. This person will be recommended for the Compliance Committee by completing a Committee Member Recommendation Sheet (CMRS).
- Download this list of Compliance Committee Member Options with brief descriptions to assist your decision-making process.
- Download the Committee Member Recommendation Sheet (CMRS) template. This template contains further guidance and complete instructions describing how to complete a CMRS. You will complete one of these for each of the 6 required CMRS in this project.
- Download a Sample Completed (CMRS) to help guide your efforts.
Expert Solution Preview
In the healthcare industry, there are several laws, regulations, and standards that healthcare facilities need to be aware of and comply with in order to ensure the safety and well-being of patients. Compliance with these laws is essential to maintain high-quality healthcare services and to avoid legal and financial consequences. In this context, identifying the specific laws, regulations, and standards applicable to healthcare facilities and determining the individuals responsible for monitoring and ensuring compliance is crucial.
Question 1: Identify a specific Law/Regulation/Standard that each healthcare facility needs to be aware of and comply with during regular business in the USA.
One specific Law/Regulation/Standard that healthcare facilities need to be aware of and comply with during regular business in the USA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). HIPAA was enacted in 1996 and aims to protect the privacy and security of individuals’ health information, also known as protected health information (PHI). Healthcare facilities, including Livewell facility, are required to comply with HIPAA regulations to ensure the confidentiality of patient health information and prevent unauthorized access or use of PHI.
Question 2: Determine who (which job title) at the Livewell facility should monitor for that particular Law/Regulation/Standard.
The job title at the Livewell facility that should monitor compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is the Health Information Management (HIM) Supervisor. The HIM Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the management of patient health information, including ensuring its privacy and security. They have a thorough understanding of HIPAA regulations and can identify any potential risks or breaches within the facility.
The HIM Supervisor, by virtue of their normal role at Livewell, is the most likely person to identify risk for breaking HIPAA laws and regulations. They have the knowledge and expertise to monitor the facility’s compliance with HIPAA, implement appropriate safeguards, and educate other staff members on HIPAA requirements.
By selecting the HIM Supervisor as the person to monitor for HIPAA compliance, Livewell can establish an effective compliance committee to address any potential issues and ensure the facility’s adherence to HIPAA regulations.
Overall, compliance with healthcare laws, regulations, and standards is crucial for healthcare facilities like Livewell to provide high-quality, safe, and secure healthcare services to patients. The identification of specific laws and the designation of responsible individuals are important steps in ensuring compliance and fostering a culture of patient privacy and security.